When you buy through our links, we may earn money from our affiliate partners. Learn more.
- Porter Road, ButcherBox, and Omaha Steaks are convenient and reliable online shops to buy different types and cuts of meat.
- Porter Road mimics the experience of your local butcher shop while ButcherBox is great for stocking up on your favorite meats on a regular basis, and Omaha Steaks is a one-stop-shop that offers sides and desserts on top of proteins and main dishes.
- Here’s a full comparison of the three services on their prices, offerings, and more.
- See more: Where to buy meat online
- Sign up for Insider Reviews’ weekly newsletter for more buying advice and great deals.
As enthusiastic carnivores and amateur home cooks, we’ve tested a variety of online meat delivery services that source high-quality meat, send them safely to your house, and show you the best ways to cook them. After many cooking, grilling, and tasting sessions, we’ve found that three companies stand out above the rest: Porter Road, ButcherBox, and Omaha Steaks.
Though they all provide the same basic service, they differ in cuts offered, where the meat is sourced, pricing, delivery frequency, and other factors. We love all three, but one might better suit your tastes and preferences, so we compared their major differences below.
|Porter Road||ButcherBox||Omaha Steaks|
|Offerings||Meat (beef, pork, lamb, chicken)||Meat (beef, pork, chicken)||Meat, seafood, sides, desserts|
|Design||À la carte cuts and subscriptions||Subscription only||À la carte cuts and subscriptions|
|Shipping||Free on orders over $100||Free on all orders||$17.99-$21.99|
Keep reading for all the details between Porter Road, ButcherBox, and Omaha Steaks.
What it sells: Pasture-raised, no hormone- or antibiotic-added beef, pork, lamb, and chicken.
Shipping: Free standard shipping is offered on orders over $100 and your order of individually packaged cuts will arrive cold in an insulated box.
Why you might like it:
- Customization and choice: If you have specific preferences in mind, you can filter by cooking time and cooking gear to find the most appropriate cuts. Porter Road offers a large variety of cuts, from the familiar to the underrated, allowing you to mix and match the ultimate shopping basket of meat.
- Unpretentious education: On each product detail page, you can learn what part of the animal the cut comes from and the best way to cook it.
- Optimized online experience: The website and photos are laid out beautifully. It’s fun and easy to shop through the site, which is a worthy offshoot of the original Nashville butcher shop.
What it sells: Grass-fed, pasture-raised, no hormone- or antibiotic-added beef, pork, and chicken.
How it works: There are five different subscription plans: all beef, beef and chicken, beef and pork, a mixed box of all three types, and a custom box. All pre-curated boxes contain eight to 11 pounds of meat, while the custom box contains nine to 14 pounds of meat.
Price: A pre-curated box costs $129 per month and a custom box costs $149 per month.
Shipping: Standard shipping is free and your order of individually packaged cuts will arrive frozen in an insulated box.
Why you might like it:
- Quantity and quality: ButcherBox is great for feeding families and large groups, so whether you’re planning dinner for the month or hosting a barbecue, you’ll have delicious, quality meat on hand to make everyone happy.
- Automatic but flexible delivery: It’s a subscription service, with boxes delivered every month or every two months. You can change your box assortment, size, and the delivery frequency at any time before your next invoice date.
- Recipe library: The large collection of recipes helps you make the most of your premium meats.
What it sells: Meat of all types, including beef, veal, and bison, fish and shellfish, plus full meals, sides, desserts, and wine.
How it works: Shop sitewide and add anything to your cart. You can order combo kits and à la carte items together.
Price: Since Omaha Steaks sells such a large variety of products, you’ll have to visit the site for more detailed pricing information.
Shipping: Standard shipping costs $17.99 to $21.99 depending on your order total and your order of individually packaged cuts will arrive frozen in an insulated box.
Why you might like it:
- Large product selection: Though its name says “Steaks” and its strength is certainly beef, you can basically shop for your entire dinner here, down to seasonings and specialty desserts. For true indulgence, you can shop huge King Cuts and Custom Cuts.
- Highly giftable: Whereas the other services are better for personal use, Omaha Steaks is the best for gifting, offering special gift baskets and a variety of combo boxes to give to friends and family.
- Deals and promotions: The site runs frequent sales on cuts, meals, and sides, and some combos ship for free. You can often save more than 50% and stock up on top-quality meat.
- Rewards program: If you shop the site often, join the free rewards program to earn points on purchases and referrals.
Disclosure: This post is brought to you by the Insider Reviews team. We highlight products and services you might find interesting. If you buy them, we get a small share of the revenue from the sale from our commerce partners. We frequently receive products free of charge from manufacturers to test. This does not drive our decision as to whether or not a product is featured or recommended. We operate independently from our advertising sales team. We welcome your feedback. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.